People who travel on business know its critical to stay in contact with the home office. But when you travel, being away from the office doesnt mean you can ignore your email (as much as youd like to). So after a brutal day of back-to-back meetings, the absolute worst thing is trying to untangle a technical issue especially if it means fooling with your email settings.
Unable to check email? You may need to find a new SMTP Server
If you have a problem and cant retrieve email on your personal laptop or smart phone, stand by for good news. The solution may lie in merely changing your SMTP server settings. So what is SMTP? It is a routine that email applications use to correctly route your email over the WWW. Email goes to an SMTP server before getting sent to the correct person. However if the SMTP server was configured to a local Internet Service Provider, it cant function if youre away from home!
Be sure to select a global SMTP Server
In order for your email to function around the globe, you must select a global SMTP server. Global SMTP servers allow you to read and send your business email from a cell phone or PC from any global location. Once you make the change, you wont have to reset your email settings again.
Instructions for finding and changing an SMTP SMTP Server in Outlook
See instructions for Outlook 2007:
1) In the Tools menu in Outlook, go to ‘Account Settings’.
2) Identify your email account, click Change
3) Change the Outgoing email server (SMTP) to a global SMTP server (recommended links are below). Dont touch the Incoming mail server setting. Click ‘More Settings’.
4) Click ‘Outgoing Server’ tab. Uncheck ‘My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication’. Click the ‘Advanced’ tab.
5) Change your Outgoing server (SMTP) Port Number to 2525. Alternate ports are 25, 8025 or 587. For ‘Use the following type of encrypted connection’ select None.
Congrats! Now you can check your email from any location around the world. This will save time and headaches next time you travel.